Bruschetta Rice and Cheese Bake
- 1 cup long grain parboiled rice
- 1 cup each milk and water
- 1 tsp each Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 cups shredded aged Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Stir rice with milk, water, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon and half each of the salt, pepper and garlic in a large saucepan until well combined. Set pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 18 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Turn burner off. Stir in Cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onion. Pour rice mixture into a greased 8-inch (20 cm) square, baking dish. Smooth top.
Toss chopped tomato with parsley and remaining salt, pepper and garlic; spoon evenly over the rice mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Place casserole on the centre rack; bake for 10 minutes. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden.
Source: Courtesy of US Rice Federation
For more recipes click here.